Wednesday, October 31, 2007

At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon...

OK, so last weekend I spent some time shopping for birthday and Christmas presents for the boys. They spend hours digging and moving rocks in the backyard, so I thought I'd get them construction vehicles. They have dumptrucks, so I thought I'd get some backhoes, bulldozers, etc. I went to Target, Toys R Us, and looked on-line. It seems the toys I have in mind, which I thought were standard issue Tonkas, are now collector's items (with a ridiculous pricetag if you can even find them new from a merchant). I was flabbergasted to find that the big construction vehicles in the stores were all RADIO CONTROLLED!! Does anyone else see something inherently wrong with radio controlled play-in-the-dirt toys???? Has it really come to this, where we have to virtually play in the dirt with video-game-like controls? No, I want my kids to actually play in the dirt, for real, dirt and all, not sit on the patio and work excavators with remote controls. For that matter, they also actually pedal bikes and scoot scooters - with their legs - gasp! No annoying motorized whines as my kids zip around in their pint-sized Escalades & motorized scooters. I can't be the last parent who thinks kids should actually play and use their bodies instead of some new technology-driven version of playing....

BTW, I am watching some non-remote controlled Tonka backhoes on ebay and I have some other sources (like John Deere dealers) if the internet doesn't work out.

1 comment:

Harried Mom said...

Jessie, I am so feeling your pain is this is the exact thing I have run into with my shopping. I found one or two not outrageously priced Tonka dump trucks but I've held off my purchasing as they are age 3 recommendations and I want something special for Riley this year and I am afraid he won't take an interest in this enough just yet. I am finding shopping for Bailey even worse as everything out there is Princess this or Dora that. I've had enough of shopping and the season hasn't even started.