Tuesday, December 14, 2010

December, so far

Well, we're closing in on Christmas. Max is off-track from Thanksgiving break through the end of winter break. I've heard some parents say that they wouldn't want their kids home at this time because they'd be bouncing off the walls before Christmas, but I actually kind of like it. Whereas others talk about how frenzied everything is right now as they rush around, I feel kind of zen. Since we're in vacation mode (Ben still has preschool 3 mornings per week, but it's a lot more vacation-y than normal), we can do a lot of the fun holiday activities during the weekdays when things aren't as busy.

So what have we been up to? We've spent a lot of time with friends, gone to the Wildlife experience, gone skiing, and the boys checked out the Christmas activities (reindeer, crafts, puppet show) in Elizabeth with Grandma and Grandpa.

Ben had his school's holiday program Monday morning. Here is what the cuties looked like.

And here is what the cuties sounded like.

(He's got some great jazz hands, but looks a little Allen Iversen, in need of some chap-stick.)

One thing I love about his preschool is that they do Christmas songs, Hanukkah songs and Kwanzaa songs (bet you didn't know such a thing existed, huh?). I think it's good to understand the holidays your own family celebrates, but to also be aware of the holidays other families celebrate. It's hard to believe this is our last year at the preschool. It's our fourth year in a row having kids attend there and it's bittersweet as we enter the last half of our youngest child's final year there.

Later this week we're heading to the Hammond's Candy Factory and the Governor's Mansion, both done up especially fancy for the holidays. Saturday we're going skiing again and I have a cookie exchange/party with friends.

Last weekend skiing, (and we didn't take any pictures because it was snowing off and on all day, so we didn't have the bright blue Chamber of Commerce sky, but we had lots of fresh powder instead) Ben totally got into it for the first time, which was awesome!!! I so look forward to getting up there this season with the whole family. Last weekend and this weekend, we got discounted tickets through Boy Scouts, and then we also bought 4-packs to Copper Mtn, so we'll get up at least 6 times this year, which is progress for us. :)

Also on last Saturday's ski day, one of my very favorite Max stories happened. He was still groggy from getting woken up early to go skiing, but mumbled, "Mama, I have a surprise for you." He then proceeded to unzip his footy pajamas, only to reveal that he was FULLY DRESSED underneath! He said, "I was just so excited to go skiing that I didn't want to waste any time getting dressed." He was like a skiing superhero! What a cutie!

Today, we have nothing on the calendar (back to the whole vacation mode thing), but we're going to make some of my always-in-demand tagalong cookies (holla to Laurinda for that recipe!) and another batch of a new-to-me-recipe mint chocolate cookies. I made a batch yesterday and I highly recommend them if you like mint and chocolate! I'm pretty sure the boys will do some jigsaw puzzle work too...they've become pretty dang good at puzzles and will work on those puppies for hours!

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Counting down the days until we get to see you guys!

Jessie said...

Us too!