Sunday, December 16, 2007

Breckenridge!

Here are some pics from our trip to Breckenridge. We rented a condo & enjoyed 3 nights & 2 full days of awesome fun! Andrew skied 2 days, Max did ski school for 2 days, I skied one day (I felt like my legs would be good for about 5 runs the second day & just couldn't bring myself to spring for a lift ticket for so few runs), and Ben did great in the nursery for one day (he spent the 2nd day w/me). Andrew said the second day skiing was as cold as he's ever skied in; the thermostat in the truck read negative 8 when I dropped him off in the morning, plus he said it was really windy at the top. According to the TV, wind chills were -25 that day up top. Brrr!!!!

And that cliche about "when it's your kid..." is so true. I was just bursting with this giant bubble of excitement and pride and a big goofy grin watching Max at ski school. I am far more excited watching him learn to ski than I ever was when I learned to ski. Maybe it's just that way when you have kids. When you're a kid yourself, you never really think about learning new things, you just take it for granted and plug on through childhood. But when you're a parent, you watch these little people that you just love so much learn new things - whether it's a first step, a new word, or keeping skis in a wedge - and it's just so much fun it's ridiculous. And while I realize they're not doing anything that millions of people haven't already done, as they say, "when it's your kid..." Riding the magic carpet. This is an incredible innovation from when I learned to ski. It's like those people-movers at the airport; they just ski right on and up they go! Eating snow. A favorite past-time. Mama and Ben.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eerily reminiscent of 20-some years ago at 49 Degrees North. Cute pics!

Harried Mom said...

Sounds like fun Jessie. We were planning a trip that way for Feb. but looks like we may be on the move to Atlanta in a few weeks. I am kind of bummed as I hoped to try ski school myself, this CA girl just hasn't had much opportunity! Should know more on if the move is a go or not Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

I am seeing Olympic Downhill in your future!! I'm thinking the Winter Games of 2018?

I remember the big grins Mom and I had when you and your brothers learned to ski--and you're correct--none of you cared about how cool it was that you were learning!!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of 49 Degrees North, has anyone seen George and his noodle cutters????

Anonymous said...

Has anyone seen the tip of George's nose?

Anonymous said...

I just looked at the prices for lift tickets at 49 Degrees North: $43 for a weekend day, $37 for a weekday. Not fair! Oh to ski in the sludge of the Pacific Northwest again!

Jessie said...

All these comments about George got me thinking...wasn't his wife's name Evie? Could it be???