Friday, January 11, 2008

#$%@&*@@#!!

Andrew's been in Detroit all this week; he gets home tonight. So yesterday when I picked up Max from preschool I said, "Hey guys, how about a special treat lunch at Chick-fil-a?" What a great mom!

But sometimes, no good deed goes unpunished. On our way there, I rear-ended someone.

#@**#(^*#&!!!! Yes, this is ultimately my fault, as I rear-ended them. BUT, in my defense, we were turning right from Parker Rd onto Crown Crest Blvd, which has a continuous lane to drive into. We were of course going really slowly around the corner and it seemed like the driver ahead of me had paused, looked and started going, so I did the quick glance over the left shoulder to make sure no one was coming into our lane, and suddenly I was in the guy's bumper! He'd stopped for no reason!! And it wasn't a continuous lane where you had to merge over in about 10 feet, it was a continuooooooooooooous lane. The good news I guess is that I have the luxury of griping about the annoyance of it all because no one was hurt at all. And if this had to happen, it was the best possible scenario for it to happen. See, the car ahead of me was caravanning with the car behind me for lunch. After we crunched, we continued onto the Chick-fil-a parking lot and the other two moms immediately jumped out of their cars and started helping w/the boys while the dad and I sorted the stuff out. After we dealt with the police, thank you very much for the ticket officer, I ended up eating lunch inside w/the other ladies - weird.

Sidenote: as we were going through our info, the dad pulled out his driver's license - from Utah. Turns out, they live in the next suburb over from South Jordan. They lived in Colorado Springs for two years, then took a job transfer to SLC and have been there for 2 years, and jumped at the chance to move back to Colorado. They too are gentiles that survived Utah. They are here in Parker making an offer on a house. Too weird!!! They turned out to be really nice people (so far, hopefully they don't get a crazy hair and sue me or anything). We just met under crappy circumstances. Also, him not being from here explains why they jumped over into the right lane of Parker Rd at the last minute for Chick-fil-a and then came to a complete stop at an intersection they should've kept going in. Sucks for me.

And I have to say, hats off to Progressive (so far - let's see how much they jack my rates later). I called in the accident about 1:30 and by 4:00 I had talked to two Progressive reps, they had dispatched a tow truck (the van was leaking antifreeze), and the tow truck was taking the van to a "network provider" that will do all the paperwork...I just pay the deductible and don't have to mess with getting estimates, submitting paperwork for approval, etc. The boys thought the tow truck was pretty cool. Max will tell you that the van was crying because of its owies. He says that once it gets fixed up at the shop, its windshield wipers will wipe away its tears.And huge thanks to Mom and Dad for showing up with dinner and a car for me to drive (so I don't have to rent anything). This crisis was a lot easier to manage from Parker than the crises from South Jordan (of which there were several) with their immediate support.

I guess this is one of those life lessons where I learn about forgiving my own imperfections. Fortunately there aren't many. HA!

Still, so maddening!!!!

5 comments:

Princess Grace said...

So sorry to hear about the accident and am very glad to hear that everyone is okay! We will hopefully talk with you soon. Let me know if you need anything. Don't you love the invisable stops?

Harried Mom said...

Yikes, it truly does seem like things always go to hell...so to speak...when our other halves our out of town! I am so sorry about your accident but I too am glad that no one was injured our too angry. As they say accidents do happen, but they also suck big time. Hang in there and looking forward to seeing you next week. Tiff

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that everybody was ok. I hate when people stop in the merge lanes... MERGE PLEASE, DON'T STOP! It is especially maddening in Wyoming when people stop at the end of freeway on-ramps and look over their shoulder... fairly regular occurence up there. Anyways, at least I'm not the one with the most recent traffic infraction/accident in the family! :)

Jessie said...

It wasn't even a merge lane. It was a right turn that completely created a new lane for us...no lane to merge into, no one merging into ours. And yet he stopped.

Jessie said...

I've seen people do that on highway on-ramps too. And then they expect to safely join traffic going 75mph from a dead stop. MORONS! Imagine if they had to merge onto a highway somewhere with traffic, like New Jersey, if they can't even handle WYO! We used to always joke about the haphazard parking lots in Wyo - people just kind of stopped wherever they wanted. Love those Wyo drivers!

On another note, I heard you are kicking butt on the law school acceptances - good work!!