So while we were watching Jeopardy tonight, there happened to be a black male contestant and a couple of ads featuring black men. Max gleefully identified each by shouting "There's Barack Obama!" (And the ads surprisingly were not politicial, so they were not in fact Barack Obama.)
In my head, I was saying, "You know, not every black man you see is Barack Obama."
And we totally need to get him out of Parker more often.
But I refrained from saying this out loud, thinking about how much of classifying people based on race is a learned behavior and I didn't want to just start inadvertently teaching my kids to do that. So I just smiled and said "No honey, that's not Barack Obama."
Well it's a good thing I didn't mention race because I'm not sure what features Max was using to identify the people. The next ad featured an older, bald black man with a white beard.
Max shouted "And that's John McCain!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment